Pavement Ads

 I have mentioned in my earlier posts about my evening walks. While on an evening walk, I happened to see numerous business card sized massaging service paper ads all over the side walk, partly buried in the sand. The card was quite simple, it had a phone number in a big typeface and an attractive Indian girl in traditional cloth on the front, probably a south Indian Actress. On the very top, it says Indian Massaging service. I am quite sure it could be an ad for sex work. The country I'm at being a conservative Muslim country, that does not allow mixed schools or gyms, I am quite certain that its view on opposite gender massage isn't very forgiving one, let alone sex work. That said, it's not like sex work doesn't happen here at all. I imagine its not easy to eradicate one of the most ancient professions with harsh laws and religion. 

People would always find their way around these barriers and that is why these ads are quite interesting. When I first saw them on the pavement, I thought it was a mistake and that someone must have dumped it here for some reason. After that, I would go for walks or for running errands and would find the same card lying inconspicuously on pavement. I realized very soon, that this was a way of advertising, the pavement advertising. 

Comments